In the early hours of April 25, 1980, a commando of 90 American special forces aboard six C-130 cargo planes and eight helicopters violated the airspace of the Islamic Republic of Iran to try to free their agents who were spying for the government under diplomatic cover.
Hundreds of pages of documents released later showed that America had turned its embassy in Tehran into a centre for spying against the Islamic Revolution.
The embassy was then described as den of espionage by the Iranian people.
The helicopters had been due to land close to the America’s embassy, but the operation turned into a disaster when the desert rendevous point — near the city of Tabas some 400 kilometres (250 miles) southeast of Tehran — was whipped by a miraculous sandstorm.
The operation, codenamed by US as Eagle Claw, resulted in the deaths of eight American servicemen and was quickly abandoned. Its failure also contributed to the subesequent election defeat of then American president Jimmy Carter.
The event of Tabas can reveal God’s grandeur and the aids from the World Unseen to the people so that it would be a lesson to the next generations.
The event of Tabas is the most terrible scandal on the field of unsuccessful American threats against the Islamic Revolution of Iran.
This event which was ended by the Americans defeat, is certainly considered as one of the greatest miracles of the century, because America started his attack aiming at destroying the Islamic Republic of Iran and Islamic Revolution.
It used all of her energy and used all of the most sensitive and the most sophisticated military equipment along with the complete facilities and the coordination of all of the forces (inside and outside).
This country adhered to an excuse, which was about the freedom of the American spies who were in Iran.
The officials of the White House and the Pentagon were sure about the successful ending of the operations for, they would consider no factor for interrupting the process.
However; since God has always been keeping the nation and her revolution, there was a case realization of his aids from the World Unseen in Tabas event so that it would be a solid proof for the tyrannical figures, to believe when God wants to do something it will surely happen.
THE MOTIVATIONS AND THE SITUATION OF AMERICAN MILITARY INTERVENTION
After the second revolution [seizing the espionage den (U.S. Embassy)] and the defeat of the American deceitful threats aimed at influencing Iran and finally deteriorating the Islamic Revolution (the internal structure) and the revelation of the hidden hands who were the colleagues of the Great Satan (America) and taking them to the captivity, the military threats and the economic sanction were among the most primitive measures for over coming this victorious achievement and defeating it.
All of the colleagues of the Great Satan accompanied it in all of these threats.
The propaganda, which was directed at the two above-mentioned aims were originally concentrated on the military intervention and it reached its climax. Having got no successful results, the enemy shifted his attention toward the economic sanction and development of this mood to all of his colleagues.
Two reasons were behind this:
1. It served as enemy’s last threat,
2. It was aimed at misleading of the public opinion so that they would forget the foreign enemy and pay attention to the internal affairs and problems and the economic difficulties.
1. One of the most important factors, which paved the ground for this attack, would be the unsuccessful results of the diplomatic efforts and the American plans aiming at the releasing of American spies. (The missions of the persons such as Remzi Clark, Hans, Habib Shati, Banisadr and Qotbzadeh provide us with the best instances of the issue).
2. During the enemy’s efforts and the American- based people, or better defined the political groups (with different tendencies of the Left or Right) were dealing with the case through creating hubbub, war and battle. They adhered to an excuse which was the so-called keeping of the university and avoiding it from being closed.
They did all of these affairs so skillfully that it was thought that it would be a part of the whole military attack project.
3. The Iraq’s tendency to add fuel to the fire, in the border lines with Iran and the hubbub of Kurdistan. It is very surprising to know that the aggressive government of America had arranged an intensive program for preparing her forces, in the deserts of Arizona. The program lasted for about 5 months. The location is the similar phenomenon of Iranian desert.
The most sophisticated military techniques were used which included the military and defensive weaponry, the modern aircraft, which was supplied through heavy expenses.
US meteorological center had kept the Iran’s climatic atmosphere to ensure the secure landing in Tabas. Since that night was marked with the beautiful moonlight, no one would expect any drastic change in the weather, or occurrence of any storm.
SOME OTHER OUTSTANDING POINTS ABOUT THE ISSUE:
According to the available documents and reports and essays on the issue, such points are as follows:
1. America had used the latest military facilities and techniques of that era. This was to the extent that U.S. Congress had devoted a lot of money to the project.
2. The helicopters, which were to be used for setting the American spies free, were the best of all kinds. This was according to the American experts. Therefore; not disorder was expected and such a phenomenon in the process of the operation was so strange.
3. The night of the operation was marked with the moonlight, which would mean no sign of winds and storm. Furthermore, according to American weather forecast, there should not have been the case of storm.
4. According to the experts, the chance was more than 90%.
5. The one who had supplied the vehicles so that the Americans would be transported , was Ali Eslami a member of a rump group called Khalq-e Mosalman.
7. Considering the rump Soviet Union’s special care toward the American movements and their efforts to keep them under close watch, one could certainly say that this event would be the one upon which they agreed as well.
8. There were 14 areas, which were considered for the suitable locations considered for making emergency landing if needed. (With the helicopters of c-130).
9. At the night of operations, the Shiroody Stadium was shining because all of the lamps were on.
10. Ali Islami, who supplied the Americans with the trucks to transport them to Tehran, had cooperated with some measures against Imam Khomeini through organizing demonstrations. He had close relationships with the U.S. Embassy as well.
11. The Zionists had a very active role in the event as well, so that it was based on the attack upon Ugandan Airport of ‘Entabeh’. Among these one can refer to that which belonged to ‘schimon Prez’.
Any way, what had occurred in Tabas, was another proof for believing Surah of Fil ‘Elephant’ and April 24, 1980 (Ordibehesht 5,1359) was another Amolfil ‘the year of elephant’ and Carter was another Abrahe and there was God’s benevolence and kindness like the one existed before.
What had been mentioned here was not a temporary event that can be forgotten so easily, but a very historic one that would last for ever for those who see everything deeply through their hearts and also yet another sign of God’s dominance over the weak enemies of His path.