Qatar blasts Israel on Scud claims
Qatar’s Prime minister has charged Israel with posing new threats against Lebanon and Syria by accusing Damascus of supplying Scud missiles to Hezbollah.
Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem bin Jaber al-Thani, who arrived in Beirut on an invitation from his Lebanese counterpart Saad Haariri, said Israel fabricated Scud allegations without providing any evidence, Lebanese media reported Wednesday.
“Launching threats against Lebanon or Syria is unacceptable and we’ll do whatever we can to foil Israeli foolishness,” said Sheikh Hamad at a press conference quoted by Lebanese daily Naharnet.
“Israeli threats are not strange and it’s very important for Israel to realize the failure of its previous military adventures and hopefully they have grasped the lessons,” he added.
Earlier this month, Israel’s President Shimon Peres accused Syria of providing Hezbollah with Scud missiles capable of reaching targets anywhere in Israel. The US has followed the Israeli lead by issuing threatening remarks to Syria regarding the allegation.
Both Hezbollah and Damascus, however, denied the allegations and described it as “an attempt by Israel to raise tensions in the region.”
Hariri had also dismissed the Israeli claims as an effort by the regime to justify a new war on his country.