NATO to hold meeting on Israeli attack
NATO has agreed to a request by the Turkish premier to hold an emergency meeting over the fatal Israeli raid on the Gaza-bound Freedom Flotilla.
“Planning is underway for a meeting at the request of the Turkish authorities tomorrow afternoon,” James Appathurai, a spokesman for the alliance, said in a Monday statement.
NATO is deeply concerned about the loss of life in international waters, he added, AFP reported.
Turkish Premier Recep Tayyip Erdogan had earlier denounced the assault and called for a meeting by the military alliance.
Erdogan pledged a proper response to the brutal Israeli attacks which killed 20 activists, including dozens of Turkish nationals.
“It should be known that we will not stay silent and unresponsive in the face of this inhuman state terror,” Erdogan said.
The Freedom Flotilla was seeking to break Israel’s three-year-long blockade of Gaza and deliver basic necessities to the impoverished Palestinians living in the coastal enclave.
The convoy, however, came under attack by Israeli navy in international waters more than 150 km (90 miles) off the coast of Gaza.
The international community has censured the move, with many European countries summoning Israeli ambassadors.