UN Security Council slams N Korea N-test
The United Nations Security Council has “strongly condemned” North Korea’s latest nuclear test and vowed that it will consider taking “appropriate measures” in response to the action.
The 15-member council said in a Tuesday statement that “The members of the Security Council strongly condemned this test, which is a grave violation” of three council resolutions.
The unanimously-agreed Security Council statement came after North Korea said earlier in the day that it had successfully carried out its third underground nuclear test. It added that the test involved “miniaturized” device and was conducted in a “perfect manner.”
The nuclear test drew immediate condemnations from UN chief Ban Ki-moon as well as several countries including the US, South Korea, Russia, and Japan.
The Security Council statement further said that “There continues to exist a clear threat to international peace and security,” adding that members of the council will “begin work immediately on appropriate measures in a Security Council resolution.”
Also on Tuesday, North Korea’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement that Pyongyang’s latest nuclear test was its “first” action against the US hostility.
The ministry statement added that if Washington maintains its hostility towards the East Asian country and “further complicates the situation,” Pyongyang will be left with “no choice but to take even stronger second or third rounds of action.”