Offensive against Boko Haram continuing: Nigeria army
The Nigerian army says offensive against Takfiri Boko Haram militants is continuing after the recapture of the northeastern town of Baga from the extremists.
“The cordon and search as well as patrol of the localities continue while the offensive on terrorists is progressing in other areas of the theatre of the counter terrorist campaign,” said General Chris Olukolade, a spokesman for the army, in a statement on Sunday.
Soldiers who have been participating in Baga operation have discovered various types of arms abandoned by the fleeing terrorists in the town and surrounding areas, the statement said.
On Saturday, Nigeria’s army said it had regained control of Baga from Boko Haram, which overran the town more than a month ago.
The extremist group has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly shooting attacks and bombings in various parts of Nigeria since the beginning of its operations in 2009.
The five countries of Chad, Niger, Nigeria, Cameroon, and Benin pledged earlier in February to deploy an 8,700-strong force to fight the Boko Haram militancy in the region around Lake Chad.