Bomb blast targets motor park in northeast Nigeria, kills 18
A bomb blast in the northeastern Nigerian town of Biu has claimed the lives of at least 18 people.
According to Babagana Kyari, a civilian vigilante, on Thursday, “at least 18 people, including three women, died… and several others were injured” when a bomber targeted the Tashar Gandu motor park in Biu, Borno State.
Another bomber was gunned down before detonating his explosives in the town, said Ali Dauda, a local resident who witnessed the incident.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the bombing. However, the Nigerian government blames such attacks on the Boko Haram Takfiri group, which has recently intensified its acts of terror in the northeast of the African country.
The attack came two days after a bomb blast targeted a bus station in the city of Kano, leaving 34 people dead.
Last week, a blast at a market in Potiskum, the commercial capital of the restive state of Yobe, killed six people.
Boko Haram, whose name means “Western education is forbidden,” controls parts of northeastern Nigeria and says its goal is to overthrow the Nigerian government.
It has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly shooting attacks and bombings in various parts of Nigeria since the beginning of its activities in 2009, which have left over 13,000 people dead and 1.5 million displaced.
Boko Haram has also conducted military operations in Nigeria’s neighboring countries Cameroon, Chad, and Niger.