World condemns Saudi aggression against Yemen
Thousands of people have staged demonstrations in different countries in protest against the ongoing Saudi military aggression against members of the Houthi Ansarullah movement in Yemen.
Scores of Iranian protesters took part in a rally in the capital Tehran following Friday prayers, demanding an end to the Saudi onslaught on the impoverished Arab country.
Similar demonstrations were also held in other parts of Iran, namely Ahvaz, Ardabil, Mashhad and Tabriz.
In the northwestern city of Ardebil, the marchers carried banner and banners reading “Shame on Al Saud” and “We denounce the occupiers,” and chanted slogans in condemnation of Riyadh’s airstrikes against Yemen.
They also called upon international organizations to immediately intervene and stop the hostilities.
Protesters also took to the streets, shouted slogans and held placards during a demonstration in the Indian-administered Kashmir against Saudi military campaign in Yemen.
In Yemen itself, thousands of Yemeni demonstrators staged a protest rally in the capital Sana’a against airstrikes carried out by Saudi military aircraft against Ansarullah revolutionaries.
Yemeni protesters hold a placard during a demonstration against Saudi airstrikes against their country in the capital Sana’a on April 3, 2015. (© AFP)
Saudi Arabia’s air campaign in Yemen started on March 26 in a bid to restore power to fugitive former Yemeni president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
On March 25, the embattled president fled Aden, where he had sought to set up a rival power base, to Riyadh after Ansarullah revolutionaries advanced on Aden.
The Ansarullah fighters took control of Sana’a in September 2014 and are currently moving southward. The revolutionaries said the Hadi government was incapable of properly running the affairs of the country and containing the growing wave of corruption and terror.
The United Nations says at least 519 people, including women and children, have so far lost their lives in two weeks of violence in Yemen.
UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos said in a statement on Thursday that 1,700 people have been also wounded in the Saudi strikes against the country.
She noted that 90 children were among the victims of the violence.