Yemen’s Houthis continue advance in Aden
Ansarullah fighters of the Houthi movement have continued their advance in the southwestern Yemeni city of Aden despite the ongoing Saudi invasion of the country.
Latest reports coming out of Yemen show that the revolutionaries are now trying to take control of the Tawahi and Mualla districts early on Saturday.
Sources say the Ansarullah fighters along with army units are continuing to advance in the port city while fighting al-Qaeda terrorists and the loyalists to the fugitive president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi.
Some media reports previously said the Ansarullah had retreated from the presidential palace in the port city, which is located approximately 420 kilometers (260 miles) south of the capital Sana’a. The movement has denied the reports.
The Houthi movement took control of the presidential palace in Aden on Thursday.
On Friday, the Saudi warplanes airdropped weapons and supplies for the militants, including al-Qaeda terrorists, who are battling the Ansarullah fighters in Aden.
The jets airdropped a number of wooden boxes containing various firearms and ammunition in the region early on Friday. Some reports indicated that sophisticated communications equipment and advanced combat medical kits are also among the items.
Saudi Arabia’s air campaign against Yemen started on March 26 in a bid to restore power to Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
On March 25, the embattled president fled the southern city of Aden, where he had sought to set up a rival power base, to the Saudi capital, Riyadh, after Ansarullah revolutionaries advanced on Aden.
The Ansarullah fighters took control of the Yemeni capital in September 2014 and are currently moving southward. The revolutionaries said Hadi’s government was incapable of properly running the affairs of the country and containing the growing wave of corruption and terror.
Meanwhile, the United Nations says at least 519 people, including women and children, have so far lost their lives in two weeks of turmoil in the country.
UN Under-Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs Valerie Amos said in a statement on Thursday that 1,700 people have been also wounded during clashes between rival groups in Yemen as well as the Saudi airstrikes. The UN official added that 90 children were among the victims of the violence.