Saudi airstrikes hit Yemen’s Defense Ministry in Sana’a
Saudi warplanes have bombed the headquarters of Yemen’s Defense Ministry in the capital city of Sana’a, reports say.
According to reports, the Saudi airstrikes targeted the ministry’s headquarters in central Sana’a on Thursday, causing three massive explosions at the site.
Thick smoke could be seen in the area, the witnesses said.
The reports added that separate raids by Saudi fighter jets struck a food supply building belonging to the Yemeni army in the west of the capital.
Elsewhere in the country, Saudi airborne assaults also hit several areas in the northwestern city of Sa’ada and the southern city of Ataq.
Saudi Arabia’s air campaign against Ansarullah fighters started on March 26, without a UN mandate, in a bid to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
According to figures released Thursday by Yemeni media outlets, nearly 450 people have so far been killed since the beginning of the Saudi aggression. Most deaths are reported to be women and children.
Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
However, the Ansarullah movement later said Hadi had lost his legitimacy as president of Yemen after he escaped Sana’a to Aden in February.
On March 25, the embattled president fled the southern city of Aden, where he had sought to set up a rival power base, to the Saudi capital, Riyadh, after Ansarullah revolutionaries advanced on Aden.
The Ansarullah fighters took control of the Yemeni capital in September 2014. The revolutionaries said Hadi’s government was incapable of properly running the affairs of the country and containing the growing wave of corruption and terror.