Sana’a protest slams Saudi attacks on Yemen
Thousands of Yemeni protesters have poured into the streets of the capital, Sana’a, to condemn the Saudi deadly military aggression against their country as a violation of international law.
In a mass rally on Friday, the Yemeni demonstrators waved national flags and carried large banners while calling on the international community to probe crimes committed in their country by the Saudi regime and prosecute the perpetrators of the atrocities.
The protesters reiterated that the Yemeni people are capable of resolving their own problems peacefully.
They also hailed efforts by Iran, Russia, China and several other countries to stand behind the people of Yemen.
Meanwhile, sporadic protests were also held in other parts of the Arab country, including the southeastern city of Taiz.
The demonstrations were held as Saudi jet fighters targeted several parts of Sana’a during rallies in al-Matar street.
Saudi Arabia started its air campaign against Yemen on March 26 without a UN mandate in a bid to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
A spokesperson for the Yemeni army, fighting alongside Ansarullah fighters, said on Friday that at least 1,000 people, including 200 children, have been killed in Saudi airstrikes.
The military official added that 15,000 others have been also injured since the start of Saudi military campaign.
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on April 7 that more than 540 people had been killed in Yemen since the military conflict began in the Arab country in mid-March.
Christian Lindmeier, a WHO spokesman, noted that the death toll was related to the period between March 19 and April 6.