WikiLeaks releases hacked Sony documents
WikiLeaks has released hundreds of thousands of emails and documents related to last year’s hack against Sony Pictures.
The whistle-blower website said on Thursday that it put over 170,000 emails from Sony Pictures as well as more than 30,000 other documents into a searchable online archive.
“This archive shows the inner workings of an influential multinational corporation,” said WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
“It is newsworthy and at the center of a geo-political conflict. It belongs in the public domain. WikiLeaks will ensure it stays there.”
Sony Pictures, however, denounced the move, accusing the whistle-blower website of assisting the hackers to disseminate stolen information.
“We vehemently disagree with WikiLeaks’ assertion that this material belongs in the public domain,” said the company.
Sony Pictures was hacked last December by a group that called itself “Guardians of Peace.”
The hackers released tens of thousands of sensitive documents, including studio financial records, employment files and emails between Sony executives. The group called the attack “Christmas gift.”
The US alleged that North Korea targeted Sony to halt the release of the studio’s movie, “The Interview,” which depicts the fictional assassination of North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un.
The company at first shelved the movie, but it was later opened in a limited release.