No home rebuilt in Gaza after 2014 Israel war
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) says no house has been reconstructed in the besieged Gaza Strip eight months after the end of the Israeli regime’s latest war on the blockaded area.
“Not a single home has been rebuilt” in the besieged Gaza Strip since the end of the Israeli military’s devastating offensive against the territory in the summer of 2014, said UNRWA spokesperson Chris Gunness on Thursday.
The Israeli regime started its latest war on Gaza in early July last year. The offensive ended on August 26 with a truce that took effect after indirect negotiations in the Egyptian capital, Cairo.
“To date, 9,161 Palestine refugee houses have been considered totally destroyed and 5,066 have suffered severe, 4,085 major and 124,782 minor damages,” Gunness added.
He further said that the UN agency has received “funding to reconstruct 200 of the 9,161 houses totally destroyed.”
He stressed that the Israeli aggression has left a negative impact on Palestinian children, adding, “Many are in need of psycho-social support.”
Nearly 2,200 Palestinians, including 577 children, were killed in Israel’s 50-day onslaught. Over 11,100 others, including nearly 3,380 children, 2,088 women and 410 elderly people, were also injured.