38 killed in clashes in south Yemen between Ansarullah fighters and al-Qaeda terrorists
Clashes between Yemen’s Ansarullah fighters of the Houthi movement and al-Qaeda terrorists have claimed the lives of 38 people in the south of the country.
According to Yemeni officials, seven terrorists killed and 22 Ansarullah fighters martyred in heavy clashes in the southern town of Daleh early Saturday.
Nine more Houthi fighters were also martyred in an ambush in the town, the reports added.
Meanwhile, a government official announced that a rocket-propelled grenade attack left nine Ansarullah fighters dead in the town of Loder.
This is while reports said Saudi warplanes targeted the positions of Houthi fighters in the strategic city of Aden.
Saudi aerial assaults also struck al-Anad military airbase north of Aden, which is now under the control of Ansarullah fighters.
The oil-rich eastern province of Ma’rib also witnessed fierce fighting between Houthis and al-Qaeda militants.
On Friday, Amnesty International called for an immediate investigation into the Saudi aggression against Yemen which has claimed the lives of hundreds of civilians so far.
“The month-long campaign of airstrikes carried out by Saudi Arabia… has transformed many parts of Yemen into a dangerous place for civilians,” said the deputy director of Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Program, Said Boumedouha.
In a broadcast late on Tuesday, Saudi government spokesman Brigadier General Ahmed al-Assiri announced the termination of the first phase of the Saudi war on Yemen.
However, he added that the Saudi naval blockade on Yemen would stay in place and the Saudi forces would continue targeting the Houthi Ansarullah movement’s fighters in Yemen.
Saudi Arabia started its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to restore power to the country’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is a close ally of Riyadh.
According to reports, nearly 1,000 people have been killed during the aggression.