Bahraini regime court sentences 12 for killing policeman
A regime court in Bahrain has handed down various verdicts, including a death sentence, to a dozen people over their alleged involvement in a bomb attack last year that killed a policeman.
On Wednesday, the High Criminal Court sentenced a Bahraini man, whose identity was not disclosed, to death over the bombing near the village of East Eker, south of the capital, Manama, last July, which claimed the life of a policeman identified as Mahmoud Fareed.
Four defendants were given 10 years in jail in the same case, and the court sentenced seven others to life in prison.
All the convicted men, most of them sentenced in absentia, were also ordered to be stripped of their citizenship.
Earlier this month, Amnesty International censured the Bahraini regime over the “rampant” human rights abuses against opposition activists and anti-government protesters.
In its report, titled “Behind the Rhetoric: Human rights abuses in Bahrain continue unabated,” the rights organization criticized Manama for resorting to torture, arbitrary detentions, and the excessive use of force against peaceful government critics, including some as young as 17.
Amnesty International’s Deputy Director of the Middle East and North Africa Program Said Boumedouha said that “repression is widespread and rampant abuses by the security forces continue” four years after the country’s uprising in 2011.
Boumedouha added that “brutality remains a hallmark of Bahrain’s security forces.”
Since mid-February 2011, thousands of anti-regime protesters have held numerous demonstrations on the streets of Bahrain, calling for the Al Khalifa family to relinquish power.
Scores of Bahrainis have been killed and hundreds of others injured and arrested in the ongoing crackdown on peaceful demonstrations.