Iran’s Judiciary Vows to Take Legal Action against Saudi Siege of Yemen
The Iranian Judiciary announced plans to take legal action against Saudi Arabia after the latter’s fighter jets intercepted several Iranian cargo planes that intended to land in Sana’a to supply humanitarian aid to the war-stricken people in Yemen.
“The crime being committed in different parts of the region and Yemen today is a scandal for those who claim to be supporters of human rights,” Judiciary Spokesman Gholam-Hossein Mohseni Ejeyee told reporters in a press conference in Tehran on Monday.
He blasted Saudi Arabia, the US and their allies for blocking humanitarian aids to Yemen, including three Iranian planes that were carrying food and medicine for the Yemeni people and were warned by the Saudi fighter jets to stay away from Yemen’s airspace.
“Today, the people in Yemen are experiencing an acute lack water, electricity, fuel, medicine and equipment in hospitals and the situation resembles the Gaza siege and the office of Iran’s prosecutor-general will certainly adopt the necessary measures in this regard,” Mohseni Ejeyee said.
Late in April, Saudi jet fighters shooed away three Iranian cargo planes from Yemen’s airspace. But in the third case they bombed the Sana’a airport control tower and runway seven times to prevent the Iranian defying pilot from landing. The Iranian civilian plane carried humanitarian aids, including medical equipment, for the Yemeni people who have been under the Saudi-led airstrikes for over a month now. The cargo plane was due to take humanitarian aid to Yemen and take several civilians, who were critically wounded in the recent Saudi bombings, back to Tehran to receive specialized medical treatment.
Iran had earlier sent five consignments of humanitarian aid to Yemen, including a total of 69 tons of relief, medical, treatment, and consumer items
Last month, Head of the Yemeni Red Crescent Society Mohammad Ahmad al-Kebab in a letter to his Iranian counterpart Seyed Amir Mohsen Ziayee thanked Iran for the recent humanitarian and medical aid cargoes sent to his country.
“I appreciate the unsparing help and relief operations as well as the humanitarian attempts of the Iran Red Crescent Society (IRCS),” al-Kebab said in his letter.
He expressed the hope that interactions and mutual cooperation between the two countries’ Red Crescent societies would increase in future.
But late in April, the IRCS blasted Saudi Arabia for blocking Iran’s humanitarian aids to Yemen.
“The IRCS humanitarian aid consignments are ready to be dispatched to Yemen, but unfortunately Saudi Arabia prevents their delivery to Yemen,” Shahabeddin Mohammadi Araqi, IRCS deputy managing director for international and humanitarian affairs, said.
Mohammadi Araqi described the Yemeni people’s conditions as critical, and said, “We are in contact with Yemen’s Red Crescent Society and Health Ministry and have included their needs in the new consignment.”
He lamented that planes and ships are not allowed into Yemen’s ports and airports, and said, “Unfortunately, the Saudi government has prevented the dispatch of aids to Yemen.”
Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen for 40 days now to restore power to fugitive president Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh. The Saudi-led aggression has so far killed at least 3,163 Yemenis, including hundreds of women and children.
Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement.
Despite Riyadh’s claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi warplanes are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
On April 21, the monarchy declared end to Yemen airstrikes after five weeks of bombings, but airstrikes are still underway.