Saudi jets continue pounding Yemen; civilians die
Saudi warplanes continue pounding Yemen, with more than 50 airstrikes targeting the capital Sana’a and the northern province of Sa’ada.
Saudi fighter jets late Monday and early Tuesday bombarded several neighborhoods of Sana’a, including An-Nahzah, Faj Attan and Jabal al-Naqam, that left hundreds of people dead or injured, and destroyed dozens of residential units.
The raids also targeted an arms depot in Jabal al-Naqam late Monday, killing 19 people and injuring over 200 others.
Reports say Yemen’s air defense also opened fire on fighter jets violating the country’s airspace.
In Sa’ada, 34 people including children and women were killed in the Saudi attacks. The country’s Al-Masira TV building in the province was also targeted.
According the Yemeni Health Ministry, the death toll from Saudi Arabia’s Monday raids on the southern Yemeni city of Ta’izz has risen to 34.
Abdulla Al-Hamedi, the deputy minister of education, also said that the Saudi airstrikes targeted more than 66 schools across the country, noting that several schools were totally destroyed.
This came as Yemen’s Ansarullah movement has released footage of a downed Moroccan F-16 plane. The movement says its fighters brought down the aircraft in Sa’ada.
Saudi Arabia started its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 — without a UN mandate — in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement, which currently controls the capital Sana’a and other major provinces, and to restore power to Yemen’s fugitive former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, who is a staunch ally of Riyadh.
According to the latest UN figures, the Saudi military campaign has so far claimed the lives of over 1,400 people and injured close to 6,000 people, roughly half of whom have been civilians.
The Al Saud regime has imposed a blockade on the delivery of relief supplies to the war-stricken people of Yemen in defiance of calls by international aid groups.