Iran Asks for UN-Protected Zone in Yemen to Send Humanitarian Aids
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called on the UN to create a safe zone for unloading humanitarian aid to Yemen, adding that Tehran’s 4-step Yemen peace initiative is the only logical plan for resolving the crisis in the Arab country.
“We have serious concerns about the current conditions in Yemen and the humanitarian crisis in the country and believe that the political solution is the only existing solution and national talks should start,” Zarif said in a joint press conference with his Hungarian counterpart Péter Szijjártó in Tehran on Monday.
“We hope that a permanent truce will be implemented in Yemen as soon as possible,” he added.
Stressing the necessity of an immediate halt to air raids on civilian airports by the Saudi-led coalition, Zarif said, “The UN should create a protected zone in Yemen for sending humanitarian aids.”
He also reminded of Iran’s 4-step Yemen peace initiative presented to the UN before the start of the Saudi-led military aggression, and said, “It is the only logical plan existing now.”
In April, Zarif wrote a letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, and demanded adoption of the necessary moves by the world body to put an immediate end to the bloodshed, describing the conditions on the ground in Yemen as “alarming”.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran believes that all efforts, particularly those by the United Nations, should be guided, in conformity with the Charter of the United Nations and fundamental principles of international humanitarian law, by the following objectives: 1. Ceasefire and an immediate end to all foreign military attacks; 2. Unimpeded urgent humanitarian and medical assistance to the people of Yemen; 3. Resumption of Yemeni-lead and Yemeni-owned national dialogue, with the participation of the representatives of all political parties and social groups; 4. Establishment of an inclusive national unity government,” Zarif said in his letter.
Saudi Arabia has been striking Yemen for 54 days now to restore power to fugitive president Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh. The Saudi-led aggression has so far killed at least 3,812 Yemenis, including hundreds of women and children.
Hadi stepped down in January and refused to reconsider the decision despite calls by Ansarullah revolutionaries of the Houthi movement.
Despite Riyadh’s claims that it is bombing the positions of the Ansarullah fighters, Saudi warplanes are flattening residential areas and civilian infrastructures.
On April 21 and May 12, Saudi Arabia declared end to Yemen airstrikes after weeks of bombings, but airstrikes are still underway.