Cameroon expels 3,000 Nigerians as part of Boko Haram battle
Cameroon has expelled over 3,000 Nigerians as part of its battle against Takfiri Boko Haram militants in neighboring Nigeria.
On Tuesday, the governor of Cameroon’s Far North, Midjiyawa Bakary, said authorities had also detained hundreds of Cameroonians and Nigerians for collaborating with the militants.
“We noticed that in the different villages there is a certain population of foreigners and they are hiding behind some Cameroonians and hiding those Boko Haram suspects,” Bakary said.
The announcement comes hours after at least seven people were killed and about 20 others abducted by suspected Boko Haram terrorists near the border village of Tchakarmari in Cameroon.
The United Nations refugee agency says a camp in Cameroon’s Far North Region currently hosts about 44,000 people and estimates there are some 12,000 unregistered refugees in the region.
Last week, Cameroon said it was prepared to send some 2,000 soldiers to its northern region to fight the militants and their deadly cross-border raids.
Earlier this year, Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, and Chad formed a coalition and reportedly managed to drive the militants from some captured towns and villages in their offensive.
The three Nigerian states of Adamawa, Borno and Yobe, located in Nigeria’s northeastern regions, have been the epicenter of six years of Boko Haram violence, which has claimed over 15,000 lives and displaced a further 1.5 million people.
The group, whose name means Western education is forbidden, has claimed responsibility for a number of deadly shooting attacks and bombings particularly in Nigeria since the beginning of its operations in 2009.