Iranian FM Deputy Condemns World’s Silence over Massacre of Yemenis
“Unfortunately, the world community has remained silent over what is going on in Yemen,” Amir Abdollahian said in a telephone conversation with Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen.
The massacre of the oppressed and defenseless people of Yemen, especially women and children, runs counter to the principles of International humanitarian law, he stated.
The Iranian official reiterated the Islamic Republic of Iran’s principled position on the resolution of regional issues through dialogue and said the continuation of military attacks by certain countries against Yemen will not help resolve the crisis but only complicate it further.
He went on to say that Tehran always stressed the constructive role of the United Nations in helping to settle the crisis politically and believes that a halt to the military attacks and boosting the political process and Yemeni-Yemeni dialogue are the only way out of the current situation in the impoverished country.
Amir Abdollahian also invited the UN envoy to Tehran for further consultations on Yemen.
Cheikh Ahmed, for his part, said the UN is striving to bring about a lasting ceasefire and a political agreement among all Yemeni groups.
He underscored that resorting to a political solution and avoiding war is in the interest of everyone in Yemen and the region.
Yemen has been under Saudi airstrikes for over four months.
On March 26, Riyadh and some of its Arab allies began to launch deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to the fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
More than 4000 people, many of them children and women, have been killed in the Saudi-led aggression against the Arab country so far.