Twin Terror blasts hit Shia mosque in Yemeni capital
Two bomb blasts have targeted a Shia mosque in the Yemeni capital, Sana’a, killing at least 28 people, Yemen’s Health Ministry says.
According to the ministry, scores of people also sustained injuries after the two blasts targeting the al-Moayed Mosque in the Yemeni capital.
Local media outlets also said that the second blast took place when first responders had arrived to attend to the victims of the first explosion.
The Daesh Takfiri terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the bombings.
In a similar incident in June, a car bomb exploded near the Shia mosque of Qubat al-Mahdi Mosque in the Old City of Sana’a, killing three people and injuring seven others. The Daesh terrorist group also claimed that deadly bomb attack, saying it targeted the Houthis.
The bombing took place days after several blasts targeted the political office of the Houthi Ansarullah movement as well as three mosques in Sana’a, killing at least 31 people.
Earlier on Wednesday, two aid workers registered with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) were shot dead by gunmen in northern Yemen.
Rima Kamal, a Yemeni spokesman for the ICRC, said the workers were “brutally killed” in the northern province of Amran on their way back from Sa’ada to the capital, adding that the vehicle carrying them was “clearly” marked with the Red Cross emblem.
The terrorist attacks in Yemen come as Saudi Arabia continues to bomb the impoverished country.
On Wednesday morning, Saudi fighter jets launched seven airstrikes against two areas in the Baqim district of the northwestern Yemeni province of Sa’ada, inflicting considerable damage on the region, Arabic-language al-Masirah satellite television network reported.
Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against Yemen on March 26 – without a UN mandate – in a bid to undermine Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to the country’s fugitive former President Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh.
Nearly 4,500 people have been killed in the Yemeni conflict, the World Health Organization said on August 11. Local Yemeni sources, however, say the fatality figure is much higher.