Islamic Invitation Turkey
       25 July 2017 - Tuesday - 1 Dhul-Qa?da 1438 | 25/07/2017 (39) 24/07/2017 (45) 23/07/2017 (45) 22/07/2017 (43) 21/07/2017 (45) Total: 126,383 content        Facebook Twitter Youtube

Official: Islamic Republic is seriously pursuing the fate of former Iran’s ambassador to Lebanon who remains unaccounted for after the tragic September 24 crush inSaudi Arabia’s Mina

5 October 2015 21:13

 

Speculation about Missing Diplomat neither Confirms nor Rejects: Iran DFM

Deputy Foreign Minister Hassan Qashqavi says the Islamic Republic is seriously pursuing the fate of former Iran’s ambassador to Lebanon who remains unaccounted for after the tragic September 24 crush inSaudi Arabia’s Mina.

“The [Iranian] Foreign Ministry is seriously pursuing the fate of Ghazanfar Roknabadi, the missing diplomat in the Mina catastrophe in Saudi Arabia.”, Deputy Foreign Minister Hassan Qashqavi said on Monday.

Commenting on the possibility of Roknabadi’s abduction in Saudi Arabia and his transfer to the occupied Palestinian territories, Qashqavi said that the issue was a speculation, adding that such a claim can be neither confirmed nor rejected.

He noted that the time and location of the Mina stampede, circumstances as well as individuals who were accompanying Roknabadi before he went missing do not confirm the likelihood of his abduction.

It is possible that those who are still missing in the tragic incident could be among the dead, or wounded, the Iranian diplomat said. He added that it is even possible that certain Iranian pilgrims were arrested, PRESS TV reported.

Former Iran’s ambassador to Lebanon Ghazanfar Roknabadi

Iran’s Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization’s officials say about 4,700 people, including 464 Iranians, lost their lives in the Mina tragedy.

On September 28, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham described as “incorrect” and “hasty” reports claiming that Saudi authorities have no official record on the entry of Roknabadi to the kingdom for performing Hajj rituals.

She said that the Iranian ministry has documents showing that Riyadh had approved an ordinary Hajj visa for the missing diplomat.

The bodies of 218 Iranian victims have so far been returned to the country by two separate flights.

The bodies of the remaining victims, some of whom have not been identified yet, are kept in a cold storage facility in Mecca and Jeddah.

Iran says Saudi Arabia’s incompetence in handling the safety at the rituals caused the deadly incident. Saudi Arabia denies this.

 

Scroll Up