Yemeni Ousted Gov’t Says Ready for UN Talks with Ansarullah
Yemen’s ousted government said on Monday it has agreed to participate in UN-sponsored talks with Ansarullah revolutionaries.
The United Nations is yet to announce the date and location for the proposed talks, but Rajeh Badi, the exiled government’s spokesman, told AFP that they are likely to be held in Geneva, Switzerland.
“Yes, we have agreed to take part” in the talks, he said.
Rajeh Badi, the exiled government’s spokesmanHe confirmed over the weekend that the UN envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed had delivered an invitation to fresh talks with Ansarullah and its ally, former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Badi declined to comment on whether the government of fugitive President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi had been given any guarantees concerning its demand for the withdrawal of revolutionaries from several areas across Yemen.
A first attempt to hold peace talks in Geneva in June between the ousted government and Ansarulla revolutionaries, known as Houthis, collapsed without the warring parties even sitting down in the same room.
Yemen has been since March 26 under brutal aggression by Saudi-led coalition. Thousands have been martyred and injured in the attack, with the vast majority of them are civilians.
Riyadh launched the attack on Yemen in a bid to restore power to fugitive president Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi who is a close ally to Saudi Arabia.