Angry Saudi Muslims bury victims of Daesh gun attack
Thousands of people in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province have held a funeral ceremony for the victims of recent terrorist attacks on two mosques, denouncing the endless targeting of members of the Shia community in the kingdom.
The funeral on Tuesday in the town of Saihat near Dhahran saw angry mourners burying two of the five victims who were killed in the October 16 attacks targeting people gathering to commemorate Muharram ceremonies.
Eight others were wounded in the incident which was claimed by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
An angry mood dominated the ceremony as mourners slammed the Saudi regime for its failure to guarantee security for people in the region.
“There is anger, but kind of depression that there is no solution, there is no end,” said a mourner, referring to previous attacks in the same region which killed dozens from Saudi Arabia’s minority Shia community.
“Unfortunately, we are getting used to it,” said another mourner attending a simultaneous ceremony held for the three other victims in the Qatif region.
Saudi Shias have long lamented discrimination against members of them in the kingdom, while they have been the target of a new wave of attacks by Daesh. It is the fourth time in a year that Shias in Saudi Arabia have gathered to hold a funeral for the victims of bombings and shootings.
A blast on a mosque in June killed 21 people in Eastern Province in an attack claimed by Daesh. Four people died a few days later while preventing an attacker from entering Al-Anoud mosque in Dammam City in the same province.
Another attack last year saw gunmen opening fire on Muharram mourners in the eastern town of Al-Dalwa killing seven people and injuring others.