New Orleans mass shooting injures 16 people
At least 16 people have been hospitalized after a mass shooting in New Orleans, Louisiana.
The shooting broke out early Monday at the Bunny Friend Park playground, where two groups of unknown shooters opened fire on a large crowd of people taking part in a music video.
Reports vary on how many people were at the gathering, with some putting the number at 200, while others hinting at a 500-strong crowd.
Three witnesses said they spotted a man with a silver-colored machine gun, and heard more gunshots from within the crowd as he ran away.
Other eyewitnesses described the shooting aftermath as “chaotic,” with several people lying around the park’s main building and their possessions scattered around the playground.
The motive behind the shooting is still unknown and police have not made any arrests yet.
According to Mayor Mitch Landrieu, the event followed a parade that took place earlier near the shooting location.
Police spokesman Tyler Gamble told the Associated Press that the video was being recorded without a permit and police were already on their way to break up the crowd from both events when gunfire erupted.
“We know, by speaking with some of the victims, that there were two groups of people shooting at each other,” he added.
New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison also confirmed that “no one has died at this time.”
A significant number of ambulances were also at the scene which was cordoned off by police.
The number of murders in New Orleans stood at 150 last year, the lowest since 1971.