Six killed in double bomb blasts in Cameroon
At least six people have lost their lives in two bomb explosions carried out by suspected Boko Haram Takfiri militants in the Central African country of Cameroon, an official says.
Michel Oumarou, deputy prefect for the northern town of Waza, said Wednesday that the double bomb blast occurred “last night in Waza in the far north of Cameroon with a toll of six dead,” including the three attackers.
Some reports placed the death toll higher, suggesting at least six civilians had been killed in addition to the attackers.
Security sources said the third attacker, who planned to carry out another bomb attack, was shot dead by police.
Similar bomb attacks are taking place on an almost daily basis in Cameroon’s Far North region.
The country has been targeted by attacks carried out by the Nigeria-based militant group, as the African nation joined an 8,700-strong regional force with soldiers from Chad, Niger, Nigeria, and Benin, to uproot the militants.
The group has pledged allegiance to the Takfiri Daesh terrorist group, which mainly operates in Syria and Iraq.
The group began its militancy in 2009 after it started an armed rebellion against the Nigerian government. At least 17,000 people have been killed and more than 2.5 million made homeless since then.