Syria: Tens of Militants Surrender to Government Troops in Homs
A sum of 116 militants surrendered to the competent authorities in the Homs province today, informed sources said.
The recent victories of the Syrian army and Hezbollah, who are backed up by the National Defense Forces (NDF) on the ground and the Russian fighter jets in the air, have caused a growing number of militants to lay down arms in the hope of the general amnesty granted by the government.
On December 13, over 35 other militants surrendered to the Syrian authorities in Homs.
In early December, militants began evacuating Homs city in Central Syria under a deal signed with the government in late November, known as the Al-Wa’ar Agreement.
Large convoys of retreating rebels left Homs City for Idlib in Northwestern Syria.
Al-Wa’ar was the only remaining base of the militants in the city of Homs.
Until last year, most surrendering cases happened in Homs and Damascus provinces, but now a growing number of militants lay down arms across the country. As the army scores more wins across Syria more militants lay down arms to save their lives.
On December 12, some 20 wanted Takfiri terrorists in Hama province gave up fight and turned themselves in to the authorities to enjoy the general amnesty issued by President Bashar Al-Assad that has been in place for the last several years.
Some 200 wanted militants from Zabadani region and Madaya in Damascus province also surrendered last week.
“The Syrian government has vowed to pardon all those who lay down arms voluntarily and it has remained loyal to its pledge so far, and this has encouraged us to give up fight, specially considering that the government troops, National Defense Forces (NDF) and Hezbollah who also enjoy the air backup of the Syrian and Russian air forces has gained momentum in its battlefield victories,” one of those who surrendered in Damascus on December 5 said.
President Bashar Assad’s government freed 270 militants within the framework of the country’s reconciliation plan on December 11.