Syria: Gov’t Forces Readying for Fresh Phase of Operations South of Aleppo
“The Lebanese Hezbollah and the Iraqi Harakat al-Nujaba have been preparing for Phase 3 of their Southern Aleppo operation, which will require them to advance in the South along the important Aleppo-Damascus Highway to enter the Idlib province from the Northeast,” the sources said.
“Phase 3 of the Southern Aleppo operation will also be one of the most violent battles to come in Northern Syria, as several thousands militants from al-Nusra Front, Harakat Ahrar al-Sham, Liwaa Suqour al-Sham, and Jeish al-Islam are waiting for the imminent attack of the pro-government forces along the Aleppo-Damascus Highway,” the sources added.
Observers say 2016 will be a very important year for all parties involved in this war.
Last week, the Syrian army and their allies from Hezbollah, Harakat Al-Nujaba, and the National Defense Forces (NDF) completed the second phase of their Southern Aleppo operation after they captured the strategic town of Khan Touman and the village of al-Khalidiyah; this resulted in the obstruction of the terrorists’ main supply line from Idlib to Aleppo.
A report said on Friday that large groups of fresh forces have arrived in al-Hadher to join the Syrian Army and its allies to launch a new phase of operations to take back the strategic Aleppo-Idlib highway from militants’ control.
“A massive wave of Hezbollah and Iraqi popular forces have arrived in the town of al-Hadher in order to begin the third phase of large-scale operation in Aleppo province’s Southern territories,” the sources said.
“The main objective for these reinforcements will be the capture of the Aleppo-Idlib axis that has been under the control of the militant groups well over two and a half years,” the sources added.