11 December 2017 - Monday - 22 Rabi al-Awwal 1439 | 11/12/2017 (1) 10/12/2017 (46) 09/12/2017 (38) 08/12/2017 (38) 07/12/2017 (41) Total: 131,607 content
Nigerians protest in solidarity with Sheikh al-Zakzaky
- Member of Nigeria’s Islamic Movement Abbas Isiyaku who was wounded by the army last month, has died in custody due to medical negligence. Meanwhile, people have staged peaceful rallies in two cities of Gombe and Sokoto in solidarity with the movement’s detained leader Sheikh Ibrahim al-Zakzaky.
- Bahraini security forces have used tear gas to disperse the anti-government protesters in the village of Sitra south of the capital Manama. The demonstrators were calling for the immediate release of all political prisoners. Similar rallies were held in various parts of the Persian Gulf kingdom.
- Ansarullah fighters and allied army units kill at least twenty-six Saudi forces in retaliatory attacks in the kingdom’s southern Jizan region. The Yemeni forces also fired rockets at strategic Saudi oil tanks in the Asir region and a military base in the Najran region.
- Police in northern India say gunmen have attacked an air force base in the state of Punjab close to the Pakistani border. They have reportedly exchanged fire with security forces. Indian security forces have so far killed at least two assailants.
- The United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq says violent attacks and acts of terror killed nearly one-thousand Iraqi people in December alone. Civilians made up some 5-hundred of those killed. Provinces of Baghdad, Anbar and Nineveh were among the most affected.
- Israeli warplanes have carried out airstrikes on several unspecified locations in the besieged Gaza Strip. There are no reports of casualties. Israeli forces claim they conducted the air raids in response to rockets fired from the costal enclave which hit southern Israeli towns.
- US President Barack Obama plans to meet with Attorney General Loretta Lynch on Monday to finalize a set of executive actions aimed at curbing gun violence. Reports say Obama will be discussing expanding background checks on gun sales, which will be revealed on January 12.
- In the U-S city of Cleveland, protesters march on the home of the city’s prosecutor calling for him to step down. The demonstrators are outraged by a grand jury’s decision not to indict police officers involved in the killing of a 12-year-old black boy in November 20-14.