Islamic Invitation Turkey
       26 October 2016 - Wednesday - 24 Mu?arram 1438 | 26/10/2016 (20) 25/10/2016 (46) 24/10/2016 (54) 23/10/2016 (50) 22/10/2016 (49) Total: 115,896 content        Facebook Twitter Youtube

S Arabia cannot evade ‘big mistake’ by cutting ties

4 January 2016 7:20


Iranian deputy FM Amir-Abdollahian said Saudi Arabia cannot bury its big mistake of executing Sheikh Nimr by breaking off diplomatic ties with Tehran.

Hossein Amir-Abollahian’s remark came in reaction to Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir’s announcement on Sunday that Riyadh would move to sever diplomatic relations with Tehran.

“Saudi Arabia has already escalated tension in the region by having made a number of strategic mistakes and adopted hasty and ill-considered approaches which had led to the spread of terrorism and extremism,” the Iranian deputy foreign minister said, noting that the plot of reducing oil prices by the Saudi regime was a further attempt to deal a blow to the people of their own and other Muslim countries in the region.

The Iranian diplomat reassured that none of Saudi diplomats have been hurt in Tehran and Mashhad, adding “even during Iran and 5+1 nuclear negotiations, Saudi Arabia had made every effort to play a destructive and non-constructive role.”

“The Saudis’ recent strategic mistake has now came as the execution of prominent cleric Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, who belonged to the whole Muslim world and not just to a particular country,” Amir-Abdollahian said.

“Iran is one of the safest countries in the region and all diplomats carry out their duties in full security,” he added.

The execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr along with 46 others by Saudi authorities on Saturday, despite earlier protests by various Muslim countries and international human rights organizations, have sparked severe outrage and condemnation from governments and human rights groups all across the world.

Saudi foreign minister in a press conference on Sunday accused Iran of not intervening in the late Saturday attack on a Saudi embassy and consulate in two Iranian cities of Tehran and Mashhad.

Iran had said the attack had been carried out by a group of extremists and the government has identified the perpetrators and would bring them to justice.

Iranian diplomats were ordered to leave Saudi Arabia within 48 hours, while 47 of Saudi diplomatic mission staff have safely returned to their country.


Scroll Up