Saudi warplanes hit Yemen’s Hajjah, four people killed
Saudi warplanes have bombarded areas in Yemen’s Hajjah Province, where at least four people were killed.
Yemen’s al-Masirah TV said Wednesday that the Saudi bombers hit residential areas in the border region of al-Morzaq.
Hajjah is located in Yemen’s northwestern region which has been a flash point since the regime in Riyadh started its bombardment campaign on March 26, 2015.
The report said two other people were injured in the strikes.
Saudi warplanes also conducted combat sorties in the capital, Sana’a. Reports said the presidential palace and the city’s main airport were targeted.
The Saudi campaign was meant to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to the fugitive former Yemeni president, Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi. More than 7,500 people have been killed and over 14,000 others injured since the strikes began. The Saudi war has also taken a heavy toll on the impoverished country’s facilities and infrastructure.
Sources close to Hadi claimed on Wednesday that at least 20 Ansarullah members have been killed in the strikes carried out on Sana’a in a time span of one day. Ansarullah has yet to comment on the figure.
Attacks were also reported in the southwestern province of Dhale on Wednesday. Fatalities were also reported. Various parts of Yemen’s northern province of Sa’ada also came under attack. Earlier in the day, Saudi jets launched several strikes on the northern provinces of Ma’rib and Jawf, killing and wounding a number of civilians.
Saudi Arabia officially announced the end of a UN-sponsored truce, claiming that members of Ansarullah and allies had repeatedly violated the ceasefire by launching rocket attacks into southern Saudi territories. Ansarullah says the retaliatory attacks are meant to avenge the Saudi aggression and only targets Saudi military positions. Independent sources in Yemen have reported a significant increase in the number of Ansarullah’s reprisal attacks since the truce ended.