Iraqi Kurds find new mass grave containing 50 bodies in Sinjar
Iraqi Kurdish Peshmerga fighters have found a mass grave in the country’s northwestern town of Sinjar, over two months after retaking the town from the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group.
“We have found a new mass grave in Sinjar. The mass grave is in an area called Zlelia, between the cement manufacture and the center of the city,” said Qasim Shesho, an Izadi Peshmerga commander, adding that the grave might contain some 40 to 50 bodies.
According to the mayor of Sinjar, Mahma Khalil, the mass grave also includes bodies of children and women.
Early in December, the United Nations human rights agency said that “gross human rights violations” were committed by Daesh in the town, adding that civilians had been kidnapped, burnt and beheaded by the Takfiri militants there.
Around 20 mass graves have so far been discovered in and around Sinjar, containing bodies of hundreds of people.
Back in August 2014, Daesh militants overran Sinjar, killing, raping, and enslaving large numbers of Izadi Kurds. The town was later recaptured on November 13, 2015, during a two-day operation by Iraqi Peshmerga forces and Izadi fighters.
The northern and western parts of Iraq have been plagued by violence ever since Daesh began an offensive in the Arab country in June 2014.
The terrorists have committed crimes against all communities, including Shias, Sunnis, Kurds, Christians, Izadi Kurds and others in the two countries.
Army soldiers and Popular Mobilization Units are seeking to take back militant-held regions in joint operations.