Iran Arrests More Suspects over Saudi Embassy Raid
“All Iranian officials have condemned the attack,” he told reporters, adding that due to the lack of evidence some of the detainees have been released.
According to the official, the judiciary and the police are still looking into the case as well as the details of the “condemnable” attacks on January 2 in Tehran and Mashhad. He, however, didn’t rule out the possibility of “foreign involvement” in the suspicious incidents.
His remarks came after Iran’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the United Nations Gholamali Khoshrou in a letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon wrote that Tehran is pursuing the case.
“Iran reiterates its commitment to compliance with the relevant international law and documents, especially Vienna Convention of 1963 on Consular Relations and Vienna Convention of 1961 on Diplomatic Relations and it will do its best to arrest all the perpetrators of the incident and prosecute them,” Khoshrou said in the letter earlier this month.
Angry protesters attacked the Saudi embassy and mission after Riyadh executed prominent Shiite cleric Nimr al-Nimr along with 46 others on January 2. Human rights organizations have condemned Riyadh for the move and for failing to address the rights situation in the kingdom. They say Riyadh has persistently implemented repressive policies that stifle freedom of expression, association, and assembly.