18 Dead in S. Sudan Gun Battles in UN Base Sheltering Civilians
Fighting at a UN peacekeeping base sheltering civilians in South Sudan has left at least 18 people dead, the medical charity MSF said on Thursday.
Two of the fatalities were local staff members who were attacked in their own homes, it said, the AFP reported.
“This attack on civilians is outrageous and we demand that armed groups stop these actions,” Marcus Bachmann, coordinator of MSF projects in South Sudan, said in a statement.
“People came to the… site looking for protection and this should be a sanctuary respected by all parties.”
Earlier, the United Nations reported that violence between ethnic Dinka and Shilluk communities broke out overnight Wednesday at the base, located in the northeast town of Malakal, and continued into the day. It gave a toll of seven dead and 40 injured.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the fighting and expressed concerns about the rise of ethnic violence in the more than two-year conflict, according to a statement from his spokesman.
Over 47,700 people live inside the Malakal base, many of whom came from areas where no aid or shelter had been available for months.
It is one of eight UN bases providing a haven since a civil war began in late 2013. The bases, sheltered around 200,000 people, are protected by razor wire and no weapons are allowed in them.
The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said “violence involving the use of small arms, machetes and other weapons broke out.”
Peacekeepers fired tear gas to break up crowds, it said.
MSF said an initial surge of violence lasted around three hours, forcing around 600 people, mostly women and children, to gather inside the organization’s hospital.
“More casualties are currently arriving,” it said.
Resident Jack Nhial, speaking from inside the base, said the assailants “used Kalashnikovs and machine guns… the situation is still tense.”
The UN mission has more than 12,000 peacekeepers, with half of them deployed solely to protect the civilians in their bases.
South Sudan’s civil war erupted in December 2013 when President Salva Kiir accused his former deputy Riek Machar of planning a coup, setting off a cycle of retaliatory killings that have split the poverty-stricken, landlocked country along ethnic lines.
Tens of thousands of people have been killed and over two million forced from their homes, pushing the world’s youngest nation to the brink of famine.
Over 2.8 million people — almost a quarter of the population — need aid, while in war zone northern areas 40,000 are being starved to death with aid blocked amid violence.
Both the government and rebel sides have been accused of perpetrating ethnic massacres, recruiting and killing children and carrying out widespread rape, torture and forced displacement of populations to “cleanse” areas of their opponents.