Yemeni infrastructure reduced to rubble in Saudi raids: Group
A human rights group in Yemen says the country’s infrastructure has been severely damaged in Saudi Arabia’s atrocious war on the conflict-stricken Arab country.
Yemen’s Human Rights Center, in a report released on Sunday, announced that more than 800 schools, 240 medical centers and hundreds of fuel depots and power plants have been targeted ever since Saudi Arabia launched its military strikes late March last year to bring fugitive former Yemeni President Abd Rabbu Mansur Hadi back to power.
The rights group added that Saudi military assaults have also destroyed airports, docks, harbors, bridges and hundreds of roads across Yemen.
The report indicated that many tourism centers, historical sites, mosques, food warehouses, water reserve tanks, communications towers and stadiums have also been struck in Saudi attacks.
In a separate development, tens of Saudi-sponsored mercenaries have been killed in a missile attack by Yemeni forces backed by Popular Committees against the Sahn al-Jin military base in the central Yemeni province of Ma’rib.
Tens of Saudi-backed and pro-Hadi militiamen were also killed or wounded during clashes in the western part of the same province.
On Monday, Amnesty International called for an arms embargo on all warring parties in Yemen, including Saudi Arabia and its regional allies.
The rights watchdog said it has documented grave violations of humanitarian and human rights law, including possible war crimes, during the nearly a year of war in Yemen.
“Amnesty International is urging all states to ensure that no party to the conflict in Yemen is supplied—either directly or indirectly—with weapons, munitions, military equipment or technology that would be used in the conflict until they end such serious violations,” it said in a statement.
The group called “for any authorization of arms transfers to any party to the Yemen conflict to include a strict, legally binding guarantee that the end use will be in line with international humanitarian and human rights law, and that such arms transfers will not be used in Yemen.”
“The embargo call goes far beyond existing international sanctions on parties to the conflict in Yemen,” it added.