Iran supports talks to end war in Yemen: Diplomat
A senior Iranian official says the Islamic Republic throws its weight behind political approaches and dialogue among Yemeni political factions in a bid to end the war in the violence-wracked country.
In a telephone conversation on Monday, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian and the United Nations Special Envoy to Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed discussed the latest developments in Yemen.
Amir-Abdollahian said the settlement of the Yemeni crisis hinges on pursuit of a political approach, holding dialog among Yemeni sides and encouraging all regional states to pursue talks as the solution to lead Yemen out of the ongoing conflict.
“The principled approach of the Islamic Republic of Iran is [based on] a halt to war and settlement of differences through dialogue and it supports any effort in this regard,” the Iranian diplomat said.
The UN envoy, for his part, hailed constructive consultation with Iran on ways to resolve the Yemeni crisis through political approaches.
Ahmed called on all influential domestic and foreign sides to help settle the Yemeni crisis.
He said the Yemeni people are facing difficult conditions following Saudi Arabia’s airstrikes against their country and expressed hope that the establishment of a ceasefire would prepare the ground for the delivery of humanitarian aid to crisis-ridden zones.
The phone call comes as the UN envoy arrived Saturday in the Yemeni capital of Sana’a to try to restart peace talks between the country’s Houthi Ansarullah movement and members of the former Yemeni regime.
On Friday, he held talks in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, with former Yemeni president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi. Yemeni state news agency, SABA, said the meeting was aimed at relaunching “efforts to reestablish peace in Yemen.”
In Mid-December 2015, an Ansarullah delegation and representatives of the fugitive former president began UN-brokered peace talks in Switzerland with the aim of reaching a solution to the country’s conflict. The talks ended with no major breakthrough.
A truce came into force in Yemen as the six-day talks opened, but it was repeatedly violated by the Saudi side and Hadi loyalists.
Yemen has been under military attacks by Saudi Arabia since late March last year. At least 8,400 people, among them 2,236 children, have been killed so far and 16,015 others have sustained injuries.