Nothing Can Stop Iran from Boosting Its Defense Might
Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari on Thursday highlighted the defensive nature of the country’s missile program and stressed that the Islamic Republic will continue to strengthen its defense capabilities.
Referring to new US sanctions aimed at restricting Iran’s missile power, Jaberi Ansari reiterated that nothing can deprive the Islamic Republic of its legitimate and legal rights to enhance the country’s defense might and maintain its national security.
“Iran’s missile program has nothing to do with the JCPOA and does not violate the UN Security Council Resolution 2231,” Jaberi Ansari said, referring to a nuclear deal Tehran and world powers reached in July 2015 and implemented in January this year.
“This program has exclusively defensive objectives,” he underlined.
Noting that Tehran’s defense capabilities are a key factor in restoring stability and security to the region, he added that in line with a decree issued by President Hassan Rouhani back on December 31, 2015, Iran will respond to any interfering US measure against its defense program by boosting the country’s missile might.
In the decree to Defense Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan, the president ordered an acceleration in Iran’s program for production of various types of missile needed to improve the country’s defense capabilities.
On Thursday, the US Treasury Department blacklisted two Iranian companies for supporting Iran’s missile program. It also sanctioned two British businessmen it said were helping an airline used by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC).
The new US sanctions against Iran came following the successful test-firing of ballistic missiles by the IRGC earlier this month.