Sole surviving Paris terrorist not questioned on future plans
Salah Abdeslam, a detained suspect implicated in Paris terror, was not even asked by Belgian investigators about future attacks coordinated by Daesh Takfiri group, extracts from the transcript of his interrogation indicate.
Obtained by French daily Le Monde, the documents seem to show that deadly bombings at the airport and aboard a metro train in Brussels could have been prevented if Abdeslam had been pushed about future attacks.
Three days before more than 30 people were killed in the EU’s de facto capital, Abdeslam was shown pictures of the brothers who committed suicide bombings in Brussels later.
The Belgian national (pictured above) denied all knowledge of Khalid and Brahim el-Bakraoui and was not further questioned in this regard, the leaked transcript of his two hour interrogation suggests.
“The transcript will give weight to allegation that Belgian police missed a possible opportunity to obtain advance information on the Brussels bombings this week,” the Independent concluded in a report covering the story.
In regard to Paris attacks which left over 130 dead, Abdeslam admitted that he backed out of his suicide bombing at the Stade de France.
His decision was faced with fury from Mohamed Belkaid, one of the presumed leaders of the Paris attacks killed in Brussels by police earlier this month.
“Abdel (Mohamed Belkaid) wasn’t … I told him I couldn’t blow myself. He consoled me and said he would hide me until I could be sent to a safer place…” Abdeslam told the investigators. “I gave up as soon as I had parked the car (at the Stade de France), I dropped my three passengers and drove off again. I just drove at random. I parked somewhere. I don’t know where.. I went on the Metro for one or two stops…I found a phone shop and bought a phone and rang someone.”
He claimed that all the money came from Brahim “but I know it wasn’t Brahim’s own money.”
Abdesalam further minimized his role in the November attacks, saying, “I did it because Brahim asked me.”
Abdesalam’s arrest in the Belgian capital on March 18, failed to stop three coordinated nail bombings in Belgium, two at Brussels Airport in Zaventem, and one at Maalbeek metro station on the morning of March 22, although the Belgian and French governments boasted about capturing a key Takfiri figure.
Meanwhile, a manhunt was underway to find more of those behind the terror attacks.
According to Saturday reports by Italian media, police arrested an Algerian suspected of producing false documents for the Takfiris.
Identified as Djamal Eddine Ouali, the 40 year old was nabbed in Bellizzi in southern Italy by DIGOS anti-terrorism police.
He is expected to be extradited to Belgium in a few days.