Seven killed in bomb attack at market in Ma’rib
Seven people were killed and over a dozen others injured in a bomb attack Friday at a market in Ma’rib, east of the Yemeni capital, Sana’a.
No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing.
The attack comes as a truce has been largely holding in Yemen since April 11.
Yemen has been under airstrikes by Saudi Arabia since the regime in Riyadh launched its fatal campaign against the impoverished country on March 26, 2015, in a bid to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement and restore power to the resigned president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi. More than 9,400 people have been killed in the Saudi airstrike ever since.
Peace talks in Kuwait City
UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed has called on participants in the peace talks on Yemen to resolve the conflict through political means.
Ould Cheikh Ahmed said at a press conference Thursday night that the delegates participating in the peace talks in Kuwait City have been divided into three groups, each of which will be focusing on security work, political work and prisoner issues.
“All parties have agreed to let the De-escalation and Coordination Committee (DCC) to study the actual wars and submit a detailed war report to the parties. This is aimed to bring the focus of Yemen peace talks to the war field,” said the UN official.
The DCC was established in the last round of peace talks in Switzerland in December last year to avoid any military escalation.