At least 19 killed in knife attack on disabled home outside Tokyo
At least 19 people have been killed and 26 more injured in a knife attack at a home for the disabled in Japan.
According to reports, a knife-wielding man broke into the building in the city of Sagamihara, west of Tokyo, late on Monday and started to stab people.
Japan’s NTV reported that the attacker, identified as Satoshi Uematsu, had tied up caregivers before the killings.
There have been conflicting reports on the timeline of the incident. Initial accounts said police had received a call and arrested the attacker upon arriving at the scene.
However, local media said the suspect, a former employee at the facility, later turned himself in to the police and told them, “I did it… I want to get rid of the disabled from this world.”
He told police that he had been fired and held a grudge against the care center.
A doctor at the facility said the victims had sustained “deep stab” injuries to the neck.
“The patients are very shocked mentally, and they cannot speak now,” he added.
The mass stabbing is believed to be the worst of such incidents in Japan in recent history.
Eight staff members were present during the attack on the facility, which has 149 permanent residents.