Iraqi Forces’ Heavy Clashes against ISIS Militants Continue in Mosul
The Associated Press filmed a unit from the Najaf battalion of Iraq’s special forces coming under attack along a frontline extending between the neighborhoods of Bakr and Kirkukli.
Sgt. Haidar Toufik, Najaf Battalion, Iraqi Special Operations Force: “Initially we advanced from the entrance of the neighborhood. We faced a lot of resistance. Most of their attacks used car bombs. We managed to deal with them and we took the first part of the neighborhood.”
He added: “Then we started advancing house by house until, moving on foot, we took the whole area. Since then we have been defending our frontline and now we are moving onto the offence and God willing we will advance street by street.”
Over one million civilians are thought to be trapped in Mosul, and aid stations received numerous casualties throughout the day.
Iraqi military and hospital officials said mortar rounds fired by ISIS militants overnight and early on Saturday killed 16 civilians in neighborhoods already retaken by troops.
The UN refugee agency, UNHCR, says at least 73,000 Iraqis have fled Mosul since the government’s campaign to retake the city began on October 17.