4 bodies uncovered on 5th day of search operations in Iran’s Plasco collapse
While a search operation and debris removal of Plasco building has entered its fifth day, rescuers discovered bodies of four civilians.
Iranian emergency workers have so far found bodies of 2 firefighters and 4 civilians, however a number of bodies still remain under the wreckage.
Saeed Sharifzadeh, Director of Tehran’s Fire Stations and Safety Services Organization, said the rescue workers who dug tunnels to reach the underground stories of the ageing high-rise, could retrieve bodies of six of those trapped under the wreckage, so far. Two of the uncovered bodies belonged to firefighters which consiering the one who died in hospital after going into coma on Thursday, made the current number of martyred firefighters at 3.
He continued that search teams are trying to reach trapped victims; the accuracy will not be sacrificed for speed and if it goes slowly it is worth that the bodies of the loved ones and my colleagues are not disrespected.
“We still hope some of those trapped would survive and may come out alive,” Sharifzadeh underlined.
Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani condoled with the Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on the death of a number of firefighters and citizens due to the collapse of a high-rise building in Tehran engulfed by a fire on Thursday.
The United Nations Representative in Tehran Gary Lewis on Sunday paid tribute to the martyred firefighters and those who lost their lives in the Plasco tragic incident.
He said the firefighters risk their lives everyday to defend the security of other people. “We should be grateful to them,” he noted.
Spokesman for the Iranian Parliament’s Presiding Board Behrouz Nemati said Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli and Tehran’s Mayor Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf will attend the public session of the Parliament on Sunday to present their reports on Plasco building collapse.