Scores of civilians killed in Turkish airstrikes in north Syria
At least 51 people have been killed in Turkish airstrikes in northern Syria where Ankara has deployed forces and occupied land with the help of militants.
The Turkish army said in a Thursday statement that those killed were Daesh members who were targeted in al-Bab, Tadif, Kabbasin and Bzagah.
Turkish troops invaded northern Syria on August 24 in a bid to support the so-called Free Syrian Army militants and drive Kurdish militants out of the region. The offensive was launched in coordination with the US military.
The incursion was the first major military intervention by Turkey in Syria, which drew strong condemnation from the Damascus government for violating the Arab country’s sovereignty.
According to the so-called Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, almost 250 civilians lost their lives and more than a thousand others injured between November 13 last year and January 15 this year in Turkish attacks in Syria.
On January 26, Turkish airstrikes on the Syrian town of al-Bab and the nearby area of Tadif killed at least 10 civilians, including a child.
Turkey is said to be among the main supporters of militant groups in Syria and stands accused of training and arming Takfiri elements in Syria and facilitating their passage into the country.
However, a series of bombings claimed by Takfiri groups inside Turkey have apparently forced the country to step up cooperation with Russia which is helping the Syrian government in its fight against terrorists.