UK police arrest 17th suspect in Manchester bombing
British police say they have arrested a new suspect in connection with the investigation into last month’s terror attack that killed at least 22 people, including seven children, at the Manchester Arena at the end of a concert.
Greater Manchester Police said on Saturday that they arrested a 24-year-old man on Friday night in Rusholme, an inner-city area of Manchester. “He was arrested on suspicion of offenses contrary to the terrorism act.”
The arrest was made after police seized a car, which they said could provide a “significant development” in the investigation.
Before the arrest, police evacuated the area and called out bomb disposal team to remove the car from the area in southern Manchester which was visited by Salman Abedi, the bomber who died in May 22 explosions.
The man is the 17th that has been arrested in connection with May 22 attacks. Eleven men, aged between 18 and 44, are remained in custody but six people have since been released without charge.
Britain’s terror threat level had been set at critical in the aftermath of a bombing. Last week authorities reduced the level to severe, a change that indicates another terror attack is still highly likely, but not imminently expected.