10 dead, including 3 attackers after terror attack in London
A terrorist attack at two sites in central London has left at least ten people dead, including three attackers, London police have confirmed.
The attack took place late Saturday night when a white van veered off the road and mowed down pedestrians on London Bridge.
The drivers then got off the vehicle and began stabbing people with large knives in the Borough Market area of bars and restaurants.
“Armed response officers then responded very quickly and bravely and confronted the three male suspects who were shot and killed on Borough Market,” Mark Rowley, Britain’s top anti-terrorism officer, said following the attack.
“The suspects had been confronted and shot by police within eight minutes of the first call. The suspects were wearing what looked like explosive vests but these were later established to be hoaxes,” he added.
According to the commissioner of London’s Metropolitan police, at least 7 people were killed in the attack.
“It has now been confirmed sadly that seven members of the public have died,” Cressida Dick told reporters on Sunday.
She also said that the situation was under control, adding, “but large police cordon still in place.”
London’s Metropolitan Police said on Sunday that 12 arrests had been made in connection with the attack.
According to London Ambulance Service, 48 people were taken to hospital for treatment and a number of other patients were treated for less serious injuries in the center of the city.
Among the wounded there are at least 6 foreign nationals.
Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull confirmed that two Australian citizens “have been directly impacted.”
Also, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said that four French citizens were injured, one seriously.
Following the attack British Prime Minister Theresa May confirmed that “the terrible incident in London is being treated as a potential act of terrorism.”
Later on Sunday, May called for a tougher stance at home against extremists, urging tougher controls on cyberspace to prevent use by terrorists.
She also said Britain’s main political parties suspended campaigning Sunday, but added that the campaigns will resume on Monday and that the general election will be held on Thursday as planned.
The attack comes less than two weeks after another terrorist attack left 22 people dead and scores of others injured at a pop concert by US singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England.
It has been the deadliest act of terror in Britain in over a decade.