Yemen’s Army, Popular Forces Capture Presidential Palace, al-Tashrifat Military Base in Ta’iz
Yemen’s presidential palace and al-Tashrifat military base are now under the control of the army and popular forces, the Yemeni defense ministry said.
At least 37 militias loyal to former fugitive President Mansour Hadi were killed in the military operations.
The announcement was made in the backdrop of similar claims by pro-Hadi forces who had earlier claimed maintaining control over the presidential palace and al-Tashrifat military base.
In a relevant development on Sunday, Yemen’s Ansarullah movement said that its forces had killed a commander of Sudanese Army unit participating in Saudi-led intervention in an attack in Midi district in Hajjah Nrovince, Northwestern Yemen.
“The Yemeni army and popular committees have targeted Sudanese forces in the outskirts of Midi desert by means of rockets and artillery shelling, killing the commander of these forces,” a military source within the popular forces said, Saba News reported.
The military source did not specify the name of the Sudanese officer, only noting that he was a colonel, without giving further details.
RT Arabic cited a Sudanese military source denying reports of the Yemeni media.
The Sudanese source said: “Only 15 soldiers were killed and 70 wounded, some of them seriously. However, what Yemen’s Saba agency reported, about 83 Sudanese soldiers and 4 senior officers killed, is not true”.
The Sudanese military are the largest Arab force in Saudi-led coalition engaged in ground battles against Yemeni Army and the popular committees, and they are paying high price for such an active participation, as many Sudanese opposition newspapers constantly criticize president Omar Al Bashir for his decision to intervene in Yemen.
On Wednesday, the Saudi-led Coalition bombed its allied forces in Southwestern Yemen, killing at least four members of the UAE-backed Southern Resistance units in the Al-Wasa’iya area of Lahij.
Local sources informed them that the Saudi Coalition carried out a faulty raid on the Southern Resistance, killing four members and wounding several others, Al Masdar reported.
The Southern Resistance fighters killed in the Al-Wasa’iya area were identified by the Aden Al-Ghad News Agency as ‘Adel Ahmad Al-Subayhi, Hassan Ahmad Al-Subayhi, Islam ‘Ali Al-Subayhi, and Tariq Ahmad Al-Khuba Al-Subayhi.
This attack by the Saudi Coalition came just hours after their jets pounded the provincial capital of Ta’iz, where local sources reported four civilians were killed and two others wounded by the raid.
While sources stated that the search for more victims trapped under the rubble is still ongoing, another airstrike occurred hours after targeting civilians in Maqbana Directorate.
According to news sources, Coalition jets committed a second massacre, Monday, in the Al-Arish area at Maqbana Directorate, killing at least ten civilians, while destroying several residential buildings.