China says Indian forces trespassing on territory
China has accused border guards from India of having crossed into Chinese territory along the border, urging India to withdraw its troops.
According to China’s Foreign and Defense Ministries, the Indian forces crossed into Chinese territory from the state of Sikkim on India’s northeastern border with Tibet.
Geng Shuang, a spokesman for China’s Foreign Ministry, said in a statement late on Monday that the Indian guards had “obstructed normal activities” by Chinese forces on the border, urging their immediate withdrawal.
He also called on New Delhi to respect China’s territorial integrity and the border agreements signed by the two countries.
The spokesman said his country had already suspended official pilgrimages at the Nathu La Pass, which connects Sikkim with Tibet and was a flashpoint between Chinese and Indian forces during a border clash in 1976.
India has not commented on the Chinese statement.
China’s Defense Ministry also said separately that the Indian troops had obstructed work on a road and were seriously threatening peace on the border.
“China is dedicated to developing bilateral relations, and will staunchly defend its legitimate rights,” the ministry said.
“China hopes India will meet it halfway, not do anything to complicate the border issues and jointly maintain the good momentum of relations,” the statement added.
Ties between India and China have been strained over border disputes.