“The United States and Zionist regime committed their most historic mistake … and, with the grace of God, Quds will become the burying place for the fake Israeli regime,” Major General Jafari said Saturday.
He also criticized certain regional countries for having connived in the move, saying “we know that this decision is the result of behind-the-scene consultations, agreements and coordination (of the US) with some Arab countries, especially Saudi Arabia, and they had been aware of the issue since a few months ago.”
The Saudi regime is making attempts to make sure Muslims’ stances against the US’s new crime remain limited to words and statements, he added.
The IRGC commander further said such moves by the US and Israel are preludes to attempts at destroying al-Aqsa Mosque, stressing that Muslims must stand up against the inauspicious plot straightaway.
US President Donald Trump officially declared the disputed city of Quds Israel’s capital, despite warnings from around the world that the measure risks triggering a fresh wave of violence in the Middle East.
In a speech at the White House on Wednesday, Trump said his administration would also begin a years-long process of moving the American embassy in Tel Aviv to the holy city.
The announcement was a major shift by Washington that overturns decades of US foreign policy.
Palestinian leaders had previously warned the move would threaten a two-state solution.
Israel has occupied East Quds since the 1967 Middle East war. It annexed the area in 1980 and sees it as its exclusive domain. Under international law, the area is considered to be occupied territory.