Iranian Leader’s Top Aide Dismisses Missile Talks as West’s “Excessive Demand”
“Their claim that they need to negotiate with Iran on issues like missiles is an excessive demand,” Velayati told reporters after a meeting with Syrian Parliament Speaker Hamoudeh Sabbagh in Tehran on Wednesday.
He also blasted the western statesmen, specially US President Donald Trump, for their allegations of Iran’s interference in the regional affairs, and said the regional states should, of course, be present in the region and the trans-regional states are not entitled to meddle in its affairs.
Asked about Trump’s recent comments on the nuclear deal, Velayati said, “The nuclear deal negotiations will definitely not be repeated and nothing will be added or excluded from it. Therefore, the US president’s claims are baseless.”
He also strongly rejected any possibility for foreign states to visit Iran’s military centers.
Earlier today, the Iranian foreign ministry categorically rejected a “baseless” report released by the British newspaper, Financial Times, claiming that the European states have agreed with Iran to hold an “intensive and very serious dialogue” on Tehran’s missile program and regional influence.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran’s policy and position on its defensive missile program is fully clear and other countries are well aware of this position,” Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said on Wednesday.
He stressed that Iran, regardless of the US threats and positions, has not changed position on its deterrent and defensive missile program, adding that raising “baseless” claims will not change this principled position.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran will not allow any country to interfere in its internal affairs and defense policies, specially missile program,” Qassemi underscored.
He also described Iran’s policy in the region as constructive and in line with strengthening regional and global peace and security, and said the ill-wishers who cannot help the regional security and stability are not allowed to ignore Iran’s role in the campaign against terrorism, insecurity and instability and exacerbating chaos in the region.
His remarks came in reaction to a report by Financial Times.
The British newspaper claimed that the European countries have stepped up the pressure over Iran’s ballistic missile program and its role in regional conflicts as they struggle to respond to President Donald Trump’s threat to junk a landmark nuclear deal with Tehran.
The German, French and British foreign ministers — together with Federica Mogherini, the EU’s foreign policy chief — agreed with Iran to hold an “intensive and very serious dialogue” on Tehran’s missile program and regional influence, the foreign ministry in Berlin was quoted as saying by FT.
Sigmar Gabriel, Germany’s foreign minister, briefed Rex Tillerson, his US counterpart, about the plan after the European officials met their Iranian counterpart Javad Zarif in Brussels last week, it added.
That meeting took place a day before Trump warned European signatories to the 2015 nuclear deal that it was their “last chance” to fix it, as he said he was extending a sanctions waiver for the final time, the FT claimed.