China on Tuesday warned against military action in Syria after US President Donald Trump vowed to respond “forcefully” to the alleged chemical attack in Douma.
At a regular press briefing in Beijing on Tuesday, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said his country was “opposed to the wanton use of force or threat of force”.
Before a “comprehensive, impartial and objective investigation” had been conducted into the incident, no party should “prejudge the results and come to conclusions randomly,” he said.
“Military means will lead us nowhere.”
As he opened a cabinet meeting at the White House on Monday, Trump pledged “major decisions” to come within the “next 24-48 hours” after what he called a “heinous attack on innocent” Syrians.
The Syrian government and its ally Russia have rejected claims of a chemical attack, with President Vladimir Putin warning against any “provocation and speculation on this matter”.