Reporting on Saturday, Yemen’s al-Masirah television network said the Saudi-led coalition that has been waging a war against the Arab world’s already poorest nation since 2015, bombed Ma’rib’s various districts at least “30 times” over a matter of hours.
According to the report, the coalition’s warplanes attacked the province’s Sirwah and al-Jubah Districts on respectively 16 and 13 occasions and also carried out an airstrike against Ma’rib’s Majzar District.
The Saudi-led war, which has been seeking to restore power in Yemen to the kingdom’s former Riyadh-friendly officials, has killed tens of thousands of Yemenis.
Ma’rib, which is located right in the middle of a whole host of other Yemeni provinces, has turned into a focus of the Yemeni army’s liberation operations since last year.
The province’s recapture, towards which many advancements have been made so far, is expected to pave the way for further military victories for Yemen’s armed forces.
The report about the intensified Saudi-led campaign targeting Ma’rib came right after Yemeni forces and their allied fighters from the Popular Committees captured a key military base occupied by Saudi-led militants in al-Jubah, and moved closer to the heart of energy reserves in the area.
Local military sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, said army troops and their allies launched intense attacks in the district, and managed to seize Umm Reesh base following hours of fighting with Saudi mercenaries on Friday.